Thursday, June 13, 2013

I Believe in America

I am proud of my country, but I do not believe the purpose of my existence is to support everything it does.  I like our history and what we accomplished as a nation, but I do not believe our national interests should subvert the will of individuals.  As a veteran, a Marine no less, I love the capabilities that we have militarily, but I believe they should be used judiciously.  Having served in a battalion that specialized in electronic warfare, the skill set of the intelligence community is highly inspiring, yet it must be controlled.

I can be proud of my country while expecting it to do the right things.  It is possible to be secure as a country without spying on ourselves; therefore, I reject the notion that because I enjoy the benefits of our intelligence assets and strong military then I should somehow be satisfied with whatever method those in power employ them, even domestically.  I am an individual, and I have rights.  As long as I commit no crimes, I do not cede these rights to anyone, and I refuse to believe that I must do so in order to ensure the safety of me, my children, or my country.

I can be a patriot while expecting the government to respect me as a person, and I can believe in a strong national defense while forcing the government to only employ intelligence and military assets outside of our borders.  I enjoy knowing that my country has its capabilities, but I most enjoy it when used against our enemies.

I believe in America as a country, not a government.  I believe that politicians and people, those hungry for control and power, weaken us, as a general rule, and chip away at our core.  As a patriot, I do not have to be a statist or a fascist to enjoy our capabilities in that I still know that a government governs best that governs least.  Much like the Founding Fathers, I love my country, but I expect it to stay within the lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment